Friday, August 10, 2007

Louie Schwartz

Louie Jew, Jewcifer, Hagamuffin, Shagamuffin, Buglette Wuglette, Super Bug, Dori, Shags and Shagaboombas, were my kid's nicknames. He joyously answered to all of the above.

On August 1st, 2007, I put my beloved Shagamuffin to sleep. I am assured he did not suffer. That he felt relaxed and tired. He was a mess. He had abdominal sepsis. It came on fast, 24 hours and he was gone. They say he was not in pain. His spirit left and had been dwindling two-weeks prior to his departure. His eyes closed as effortlessly as they opened when he came into this world. I am grateful that I was there when he took his first breath and I was there when he took his last. He was my first dog. My first pet. My first born son.

I don't know who I am without him or how I will exist on this earth without this child. He saved my life. He was my lifeline when I needed one. He was lovely, sweet, kind and good. He lived an abundant canine life, filled with great friendships, delicious food and treats, summer camp for canines, the very best health care money could buy and he ran like the wind to play catch with his rope many times a day. He's been across country so many times and stayed in more hotels with his mama than you can imagine. He was fearless. Gentle. Incandescent and the greatest gift and joy I have ever known in my life.

I didn't know my heart could love like this and break the way it has. Well, I did know, I just didn't realize the human-to-canine crossover. I have to remind myself to breathe. I have to remind myself that I did the right thing. That I acted in his best interests. That the choice I made doesn’t make me a monster. Rather, it meant that I love him that much.

I wondered and still do, did he know how much I loved him? How much he meant to me. Did he feel loved on August 1st when I ended his sweet, beautiful life? Does he know how grateful and lucky I feel to have shared eight years with him? Does he know that I will never forget him? Oh, how I worry about that.

I love him so much and my heart is so broken. I am in agony. I don't know how I got through that August 1st. I suck at saying goodbye, especially to my sweet Juice, a beautiful, perfect soul who brought out the very best in me and taught me so much about life. About myself and about what it's like to be a dog.

It seems that no matter how many Rokeach candles I light. No matter how many tears I shed. No matter how angry I get. No matter how many times I question my decision, none of it will bring him back. He is gone and I might never be the same Jewgirl again. I am forever changed because of his life and his death.

I remind myself daily that if I didn't love him as much as I do, I wouldn't feel this much pain. It doesn't help. Maybe one day it will. Until then...

1 comment:

annieg said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I cried my eyes out for you, with you. I can say that I do know just how you feel. My sweet baby girl "Kitty KiKi" died last night. She was a schnoodle, 3 years old and my absolute best friend in the whole world. I boarded her for 3 days and when I went to pick her up yesterday, they handed me a limp dying dog. What ensued was an endless day of rushing her from vet to vet to try to save her life. They couldn't save her. She was in septic shock. She had huge hematomas all over her abdomen that no one could tell me what it was. I still don't know what happened to my baby girl. I am completely devastated. I don't think i can ever get over this and I will never be the same. I love her so much that I can't breathe or stop crying. I want her back dammit. I want her to be cuddling with me right now. She can't be gone, she just can't :(