Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Upside of Death

I wanted so much to feel better this weekend and to let go just a little bit more. I didn't. I know I need to. I know that's what's best for The Kid and for me. But, I can't bring myself to do that. I feel like I need him more now than ever. I want to look into that sweet face and know that everything will be ok. I know that I need to be able to do that for myself. I can't. Not yet anyway.

I think to myself, if he'd died just a few months later. After the mishogos in my life passed, I'd have better coping skills. Intellectually I know that isn't true. There's never a best time to die. It's not like you wake up and say today would be the perfect day to peel. Ga'head, die.

I am riddled in, and burdened with insurmountable guilt for not letting go and for wishing he was here. I want so much not to feel this way. I just can't seem to find my way past the grief.

I'll spend hours and days just thinking of him and disecting the past, wishing I could have just a bit more time. Maybe if things were easier at the time of his death or during this time in my life, his death wouldn't have ripped me to shreds.

I don't have the answers to any of the questions I had on August 1st when he died. I just know that when I'm at home, I'm surrounded by his things and it brings me comfort. I know that letting go terrifies me. Until I know why I guess it is what it is until it isn't what it is anymore. I know that's very Who's on First of me to say. Still. It's pretty damn true.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rita said...

Hello,

I finished reading your text and i have tears in my eyes...My dog was hit by a car yesterday, he died..People say that is just a dog but is much more than that...It hurts so much...i would give anything to have another moment, some minutes to say goodbye....

louiejew said...

Rita, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. It's horrific and painful and devastating. I wish you didn't have to endure it. God love ya, doll.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great blog! We'd like to invite you to join our DogTime Blog Network.

DogTime is the largest online community of animal lovers with nearly 8.2 million unique visitors per month and over 150 member sites across the pet category. Please visit www.Dogtime.com to learn more about our mission.

As a DogTime Blog Star many more pet enthusiasts will see and read your blog and provide you with the opportunity to share your love of animals. Once the network is up and running (in the next week) there will also be an opportunity to qualify to make advertising revenue.

Participation is simple, as we will use your existing RSS feed to feature your blog and posts. If you would like to participate simply reply to this email with the URL of your RSS feed.

For more details about the benefits of participating in the DogTime Blog Network please refer to our FAQs here: http://dogtime.com/dogtime-blog-network-faq.html.

Thanks, and we hope you Find Your Wag!

Unknown said...

My sweet girl, Charlie, ingested antifreeze and toughed it out for eight days. A week ago last Friday, she started having seizures, even going blind at one point. I had to have her put down n Valentine's Day and have been working all week, without much of a chance to really grieve for her. I am now and it sucks. I am glad I found this blog - she was only two! I am reading a book about death and it is helping me but I say poo on death - it sucks!

Katie Schwartz said...

There is no upside to death, it's horrific. I am so sorry for your loss. If you want to write about how you feel here, you are welcome to. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. These are our children and the loss is heavy and painful.

You're in my thoughts.

strat said...

It saddens me a lot hearing loss.

www.gacrematory.com

Unknown said...

Loss of a pet is devastating. I lost three pets witting the last four months. Two dogs died of old age and my cat went missing. I'm depressed an dejected with life and finding it difficult to cope. I'm sorry for your loss and find solace in te fact that they were old and had to move on to a better place. I wish I had more ESP or something and find out where they are now. One small sign.